From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new genkernel problem
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 20:48:40
1 On 2020.06.05 16:24, Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 > On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 15:02, Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
3 > wrote:
4 > > Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
5 > >
6 > > Jack
7 >
8 > I would keep GCC 9 for now. I've run into a few issues with GCC 10
9 > compiling various packages so I have kept GCC 9 on my system. There's
10 > not some serious detriment to not using GCC 10 for 99% of people.
11 > Most distros still use an older version.
12 >
13 > Also, have you considered trying Dracut for initramfs generation? I
14 > don't know how well it works with genkernel as I don't use that (I
15 > manually configure my kernels).
16
17 Thanks for the suggestion, and I do still have gcc-9.3 installed.
18 However, when gcc-10 was marked stable, I worked on recompiling almost
19 my entire system with it. I have very few packages that simply can't
20 deal with it yet, and I suspect a few of those are not sufficiently
21 supported at all that they have a good chance of getting tree-cleaned.
22 Sort of parallel to getting rid of python-2.
23
24 I used to do all my kernel configuration and setup manually on my old
25 box (with legacy grub). When I upgraded to my new PC with a Ryzen 5
26 2600 and started using lvm, I ended up needing an initramfs, and
27 managed to get genkernel working for me, without TOO much of an
28 effort. Right now, it's run genkernel, and when I'm happy, run
29 grub-mkconfig, and it works. If I ever go to a manually crafted
30 grub.cfg, I might consider a different way of creating my intramfs, but
31 I'd rather not introduce yet another moving part if I don't really need
32 to.
33
34 Anyway, I'm writing this running my shiny new 5.7 kernel, having run
35 genkernel with --no-gpg. I had not explicitly turned that on; I
36 suppose it's just the default, unless I missed something in the config
37 file.