From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on encrypting my /home
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:13:57
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 06:32:49PM -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 8/12/06, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > >Do you encrypt your home directory?
4 >
5 > I encrypt everything except /boot.
6 >
7 > >What apps and/or combination of apps do you use, and why?
8 >
9 > dm-crypt with cryptsetup using the LUKS format.
10 >
11 > >Which ciphers do you prefer? Why?
12 >
13 > aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, 128bit, because it is fast.
14 >
15 > >Is it well supported?
16 >
17 > In the kernel, about as well supported as you can get.
18 >
19 Ok, this looks like a setup I'd be pleased with. Right now I have
20
21 /
22 /boot
23 swap
24
25 How much of a pain will it be to implement now? Or will I be better off
26 waiting about 6 months till I get a laptop, and then following the guide
27 at
28
29 http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
30
31 and in the meantime continue using cfs? Is that guide pretty accurate?
32
33 Thanks,
34 festus
35 --
36 In all the millions of years dinosaurs roamed this planet, did any of
37 them feel the need to invent, say, nuclear weapons? Mickeyz