From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Assigning an IP in AP mode
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 15:46:09
1 Adam Carter <adamcarter3 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > BTW, can I assign IP addresses on the same subnet to the 2 wireless
5 > > interfaces in my system if one of them connects to the WAN and the
6 > > other to the LAN?
7
8 Yes and no. (see below).
9
10 > You probably don't want to do that. It will give you two connected
11 > routes for the subnet, and only the one with the better metric will be
12 > used, so you wont be able to communicate with hosts on the other
13 > interface. You could probably setup bridging, but IMO it would almost
14 > certainly be better to just use different subnets.
15
16 YES; Depending on how your "subnet" and what netmask(s) you use. Routinely
17 a given class C (for example) is broken down to more smaller
18 address spaces (subnets) and not the x.x.x.0-255 range of a
19 typical class C addressing scheme.
20
21 Avoid asymmetrical routing:
22 https://my.stonesoft.com/support/document.do?docid=1377
23
24 You need to read up on this and understand things before getting
25 fancy on subnets. Router jocks do this all day, every day. Cisco
26 use to have some fabulous docs on the net, but I do not think
27 they are available any more without a support contract.
28 I.E. typically folks subnet on the class C boundary
29 (for example; 192.168.44.x) as it is cleaner and easier
30 to configure. But if you break down a Class C to smaller subnets,
31 actually they are different subnets, so the real answer is
32 NO, unless you want routing instability or want to use ugly hacks,
33 or handle by the port/service with something like netfilter/bridging/etc.
34
35 There are tools on the net to help you figure out how to break down
36 a typical Class C network, to various smaller subnets.
39 hth,
40 James