From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Assigning an IP in AP mode
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 03:43:50
1 >> > BTW, can I assign IP addresses on the same subnet to the 2 wireless
2 >> > interfaces in my system if one of them connects to the WAN and the
3 >> > other to the LAN?
4 >
5 > Yes and no. (see below).
6 >
7 >> You probably don't want to do that. It will give you two connected
8 >> routes for the subnet, and only the one with the better metric will be
9 >> used, so you wont be able to communicate with hosts on the other
10 >> interface. You could probably setup bridging, but IMO it would almost
11 >> certainly be better to just use different subnets.
12 >
13 > YES; Depending on how your "subnet" and what netmask(s) you use. Routinely
14 > a given class C (for example)  is broken down to more smaller
15 > address spaces (subnets) and not the x.x.x.0-255 range of a
16 > typical class C addressing scheme.
17 >
18 > Avoid asymmetrical routing:
19 > https://my.stonesoft.com/support/document.do?docid=1377
20 >
21 > You need to read up on this and understand things before getting
22 > fancy on subnets. Router jocks do this all day, every day. Cisco
23 > use to have some fabulous docs on the net, but I do not think
24 > they are available any more without a support contract.
25 >  I.E. typically folks subnet on the class C boundary
26 > (for example; 192.168.44.x) as it is cleaner and easier
27 > to configure.  But if you break down a Class C to smaller subnets,
28 > actually they are different subnets, so the real answer is
29 > NO, unless you want routing instability or want to use ugly hacks,
30 > or handle by the port/service with something like netfilter/bridging/etc.
31 >
32 > There are tools on the net to help you figure out how to break down
33 > a typical Class C network, to various smaller subnets.
36 > hth,
37 > James
38
39 Got it, thank you James.