From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using package.provided
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:46:27
1 On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:04:33 -0600, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > [...]
4 > Archive a portage tree by all means. But if an ebuild is removed that
5 > a user want to keep, the solution is so simple it's amazing. Copy the
6 > ebuild to /usr/local/portage in the correct directory structure. I
7 > maintain my own enlightenment-17 ebuilds, so to start I did this:
8 >
9 > mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/x11-wm
10 > cp -ar /usr/portage/x11-wm/e /usr/local/portage/x11-wm
11 >
12 > Run emerge. Simple as that. You might need to add an entry to
13 > package.mask so that portage won't use later versions in the main
14 > tree but that's all part of normal gentoo usage anyway.
15 > [...]
16 >
17 > In the event user runs with ~ARCHITECTURE flag set then masking won't
18 > do it... right?
19
20 Wrong. Package masking is independent of keyword masking. Adding an atom
21 to package.mask will mask all matching versions, no matter what their
22 keywords.
23
24 > So my understanding is that user needs to set something in:
25 > /etc/portage/profile/package.provided showing an equal or higher
26 > version number than what is available in portage (masked or not).
27 > (To maintain users own package)
28
29 package.provided is intended for use when you install something without
30 portage - it's your way of telling portage the package is installed even
31 though it's not in the database.
32
33 > I ask because setting a higher version number might eventually need
34 > bumping still higher... or if versioning changes somehow will `higher'
35 > not be noticed.
36
37 If an installed package requires a higher version than you have
38 installed, then it needs it. Lying to portage about the version you have
39 installed won't fix that, it just delays the breakage until later.
40 Masking on the other had, produces a civilised error message telling you
41 that package A needs package B greater than version N, and that it is
42 masked.
43
44 > Looking for a way not to have to check package.provided to make sure
45 > versioning is still good.
46
47 While package.provided does have some genuine uses, one of its main
48 functions is to provide people who don't fully understand it with a simple
49 way of producing hard to diagnose system breakages :(
53 Neil Bothwick
54
55 WinErr 010: Reserved for future mistakes by our developers