From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using package.provided
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:07:04
1 On 21 December 2006 18:40, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > package.provided is intended for use when you install something without
4 > portage - it's your way of telling portage the package is installed even
5 > though it's not in the database.
6
7 What is that good for? Say I write my own app (like the one my signature
8 refers to) and install it system-wide without creating an ebuild, what does
9 it change if I put it into package.provided? I mean portage doesn't know
10 anything about it either way.
11
12 Uwe
15 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
16 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list