From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovery from /var corruption?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:59:41
1 On Freitag 26 Februar 2010, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > The machine _mostly_ crashed while running badblocks. I say mostly
5 > because the mouse is still alive but I can no longer ssh in and cannot
6 > open a terminal on my wife's desktop or get to the console.
7
8 because it is not crashed but waiting for the ide timeouts.
11 > I tried to Ctrl-C out out of badblocks here (this is running shelled
12 > in) before I figured out it was a total crash which messed up the
13 > terminal a bit but you can see what it was reporting before the crash
14 >
15 > dragonfly ~ # badblocks -sv /dev/hda
16 > Checking blocks 0 to 156290903
17 > Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): 89360960done, 35:00 elapsed
18 > 89360961done, 35:09 elapsed
19 > 89360962
20 > 89360963
21 > ^C^C18% done, 35:27 elapsed
22 >
23 > So, there seem to be problems, possibly with the drive, or maybe it's
24 > some sort of overheating problem on the processor and this was just
25 > the way the processor failed before the crash?
26 >
27 > I ran memtest86 night before last for 8 hours and had no memory
28 > problems. I'll remove memory and PCI cards, reseat everything, and
29 > then see what happens.
30
31 protip: if you are running badblocks (or ddrescue) on a probably damaged
32 device - attach it with an usb adapter. That way your box is still usable.
33
34 /me hates linux kernel for making processes in D unkillable and sucking very
35 much on diskio.