From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovery from /var corruption?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:51:29
1 On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht writes:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >
7 >> > Okay, but it still states:
8 >> >>          *    SMART error logging
9 >> >>          *    SMART self-test
10 >> >
11 >> > So maybe smartctl -t long /dev/hda still works? Just give it a try.
12 >>
13 >> No, -t long fails the same way. Basically every time I try to use
14 >> smartctl on the drive it seems to issue one of these 3-line reports
15 >> about SectorIDNotFound in dmesg. My other machines don't do this. Not
16 >> a good sign I think...
17 >>
18 >> hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
19 >> hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound },
20 >> LBAsect=16777008, sector=18446744073709551615
21 >> hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xb0
22 >
23 > Uh-oh. Okay, I guess it just won't work then.
26 >> Could this have ANYTHING to do with kernel configuation? Is there
27 >> anything required at the kernel level that I might not have turned on?
28 >
29 > I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the kernel, but with your drive
30 > being incapable of the SMART commands.
31 >
32 > But I guess using badblocks is not that different in the end. The SMART
33 > selftest runs in the background and does not create disk I/O, but I think
34 > it does nothing so much different from badblocks.
35 >
36 >        Wonko
40 The machine _mostly_ crashed while running badblocks. I say mostly
41 because the mouse is still alive but I can no longer ssh in and cannot
42 open a terminal on my wife's desktop or get to the console.
43
44 I tried to Ctrl-C out out of badblocks here (this is running shelled
45 in) before I figured out it was a total crash which messed up the
46 terminal a bit but you can see what it was reporting before the crash
47
48 dragonfly ~ # badblocks -sv /dev/hda
49 Checking blocks 0 to 156290903
50 Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): 89360960done, 35:00 elapsed
51 89360961done, 35:09 elapsed
52 89360962
53 89360963
54 ^C^C18% done, 35:27 elapsed
55
56 So, there seem to be problems, possibly with the drive, or maybe it's
57 some sort of overheating problem on the processor and this was just
58 the way the processor failed before the crash?
59
60 I ran memtest86 night before last for 8 hours and had no memory
61 problems. I'll remove memory and PCI cards, reseat everything, and
62 then see what happens.
63
64 - Mark