From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovery from /var corruption?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:28:10
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5
6 > > Okay, but it still states:
7 > >> * SMART error logging
8 > >> * SMART self-test
9 > >
10 > > So maybe smartctl -t long /dev/hda still works? Just give it a try.
11 >
12 > No, -t long fails the same way. Basically every time I try to use
13 > smartctl on the drive it seems to issue one of these 3-line reports
14 > about SectorIDNotFound in dmesg. My other machines don't do this. Not
15 > a good sign I think...
16 >
17 > hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
18 > hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound },
19 > LBAsect=16777008, sector=18446744073709551615
20 > hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xb0
21
22 Uh-oh. Okay, I guess it just won't work then.
25 > Could this have ANYTHING to do with kernel configuation? Is there
26 > anything required at the kernel level that I might not have turned on?
27
28 I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the kernel, but with your drive
29 being incapable of the SMART commands.
30
31 But I guess using badblocks is not that different in the end. The SMART
32 selftest runs in the background and does not create disk I/O, but I think
33 it does nothing so much different from badblocks.
34
35 Wonko