From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GnuPG Trouble - Found Problem, Need Solution
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:57:08
1 On Tuesday 25 April 2006 08:16 am, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On 4/25/06, lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > More news:
5 > >
6 > > I successfully got GnuPG 1.9 installed, and then a new problem arose.
7 > > Configuration.
8 > >
9 > > I went to http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html#gnupg and
10 > > followed the instructions to the best of my ability, and yet I still get
11 > > this:
12 >
13 > Following instructions means also changing some parameters to meet
14 > your system specific needs. That means that if you go and type
15 > everything on a tutorial without understanding it, you'll probably
16 > issue an "rm -rf /*" because a malicious online tutorial told you to.
17
18 Even I'm not quite that dumb ; )
19
20 I'm a webmaster with PHP5, I would know about the little rm -r thing. People
21 like to slip "; rm -rf /" into web forms in hopes the input somewhere goes
22 through a bash shell. In that event your server will commit suicide on all
23 drives currently mounted. That's why we use special input strippers which
24 yank such things as the semicolon out of the input to foil the plot.
25
26 > Now, let's see, you're using GENTOO, and need help with GNUPG,
27 > Googling "gentoo gnupg" brings, voilá:
28
29 Well, after not finding anything about gpg in /usr/local/bin, I thought I'd
30 try /usr/bin. It was a good attempt.
31
32 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnupg-user.xml
33 >
34 > > lsauron@localhost ~/.gnupg $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
35 > > gpg-agent[10716]: /home/lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:1: invalid option
36 >
37 > So, it reads the first line and don't understand it, so, the line is
38 > WRONG for some reason.
39
40 I gathered that much.
41
42 > > so, ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf looks like this:
43 > >
44 > > lsauron@localhost ~ $ cat ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
45 > > gpg-agent /usr/bin/gpg-agent
46 >
47 > Ahm, so its wrong because it is NOT a configuration option, rather a
48 > call for the file that should read and interpret it, who the heck
49 > wrote this config file?!
50
51 It was adapted from www.kmail.kde.org, so I sort of trusted them a bit. Not
52 too far (since they were using a very "put your path here" thing and I made a
53 guess at the path and was wrong - end of story).
54
55 > Remove this line, PLEASE.
56
57 I tried and it worked. No clue why.... I'll investigate later.
58
59 Thanks. I wouldn't have figured out about deleting the line on my own (I
60 don't often kill things and then see if the thing works, rather I try and
61 mangle it until it does. It's just my method of approaching a problem).