From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GnuPG Trouble - Found Problem, Need Solution
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:24:14
1 On 4/25/06, lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > More news:
3 >
4 > I successfully got GnuPG 1.9 installed, and then a new problem arose.
5 > Configuration.
6 >
7 > I went to http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html#gnupg and followed the
8 > instructions to the best of my ability, and yet I still get this:
9
10 Following instructions means also changing some parameters to meet
11 your system specific needs. That means that if you go and type
12 everything on a tutorial without understanding it, you'll probably
13 issue an "rm -rf /*" because a malicious online tutorial told you to.
14 Now, let's see, you're using GENTOO, and need help with GNUPG,
15 Googling "gentoo gnupg" brings, voilá:
16
17 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnupg-user.xml
20 > lsauron@localhost ~/.gnupg $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
21 > gpg-agent[10716]: /home/lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:1: invalid option
22
23 So, it reads the first line and don't understand it, so, the line is
24 WRONG for some reason.
27 > so, ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf looks like this:
28 >
29 > lsauron@localhost ~ $ cat ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
30 > gpg-agent /usr/bin/gpg-agent
31
32 Ahm, so its wrong because it is NOT a configuration option, rather a
33 call for the file that should read and interpret it, who the heck
34 wrote this config file?!
35
36 Remove this line, PLEASE.
37
38 > no-grab
39 > default-cache-ttl 1800
40 >
41 > I'm totally stumped. I didn't find anything in /usr/local/bin like
42 > kmail.kde.org said, however, /usr/bin/gpg-agent is really odd in that it's
43
44 You won't find anything, Gentoo uses another location, why is the
45 binary agent of the program you wanna run odd?
46
47 > not actually there (I don't think - I can't cd to it):
48
49 Because its not a directory?! IT'S A FILE!!! A binary one, probably executable.
52 > lsauron@localhost ~ $ cd /usr/bin
53 > lsauron@localhost /usr/bin $ ls | find gpg-agent
54 > gpg-agent
55 > lsauron@localhost /usr/bin $ cd gpg-agent
56 > bash: cd: gpg-agent: Not a directory
57
58 See, not a directory, told you. And so did Linux, Linux is so smart.
61 > I'm rather confused. Any help? I know I did something wrong, but I'm too
62 > close to the solution to even entertain the thought of giving up!
63
64 Follow the Gentoo Guide, be happy and read some Linux basic
65 instructions on files/directories/scripts, oh, and get familiar with
66 configuration files, they usually have a similar syntax.
69 > Oh, and the dialog that prompted for gnupg 1.9, it now says that it detected
70 > the install but gpg-agent isn't running. That's why I'm happy - I'm very
71 > very close to getting this thing to work!
72
73 Good!
76 Daniel da Veiga
77 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil