From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which update broke VMWare?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 01:08:56
1 On Wed, 24 May 2017 18:39:28 -0400,
2 Adam Carter wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
5 > [2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
6 > On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 4:52 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > VMWare Workstation stopped working on ~amd64. And I don't know which of the updated packages broke it. Before I start reverting all emerges I made in the last 20 days or so (it's a BIG list according to qlop), has someone already
9 > figured out what broke it?
10 >
11 > When I say "stopped working", I mean nothing happens:
12 >
13 > $ vmware
14 > $
15 >
16 > (No output. Doesn't start.)
17 >
18 > If I enable the "bundled-libs" USE flag, I get:
19 >
20 > $ vmware
21 > Loop on signal 11
22 >
23 > $
24 >
25 > And nothing happens after that error message.
26 >
27 > There's two hacks i use to make workstation run on ~amd64;
28 > cp /lib64/libz.so.1 to /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1/
29 >
30 > And
31 > unset VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_LIBS && vmware &
32 >
33 > I am under the impression that i needed +bundled-libs with the unset VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_LIBS.but that seems counter intuitive so would be worth checking.
36 I tried this maybe 6 months ago under kernel 4.4.39 and I got no joy.
37 I wonder if I should try it again, or should I try to install their
38 bundle?
41 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
42 How do
43 you spend it?
44
45 John Covici