From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:49:54
1 On 16 December 2014 19:11:43 CET, behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> The idea of Optimus is to use the lower-spec GPU for the general
5 >activities
6 >> and only enable the higher-spec GPU (NVidia) for processes requiring
7 >the
8 >> extra
9 >> processing power (generally 3D games or rendering).
10 >>
11 >> Using bumblebee, you can start an application using "optirun
12 >> <application>".
13 >> The application then can use the Nvidia-chip. Other applications will
14 >still
15 >> use the lower-spec GPU.
16 >>
17 >> --
18 >> Joost
21 >Well actually I dont play games on linux, but I like to see how it is
22 >performing.
23 >What is interesting for is using a set up that does the offloading
24 >automatically.
25 >However it seems that the optimus support for linux is not good at all,
26 >and
27 >I hope it get better eventually.
28 >I am beginning to thinks that maybe Linus was right NVIDIA!!
29
30 The Optimus support on Linux is similar to how it's done on ms windows. (I dual boot for a flight sim)
31
32 Performance wise, it depends on the GPU.
33 The lowspec one I have is an Intel embedded one. The higher spec is an NVidia GT750.
34
35 Using glxgears:
36 Without (Intel): 60fps
37 With (NVidia): 90-95 fps
40 Joost
41 --
42 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.