From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fdisk warnings during install; questions
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:40:56
1 On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:44:54AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > Reading between the lines shows Walter doesn't want to use fdisk to
4 > deal with a GPT disk.
5 >
6 > He has a regular partitioned disk that was once GPT, and some
7 > remnants of that are left around confusing fdisk. He wants the
8 > remnants to go away and needs to know what bit of the disk to dd
9 > and make that happen.
10
11 You're right. That is what I meant I finally found the answer.
12 http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/wipegpt.html is the URL to see. My
13 Google-fu isn't quite what it used to be. For anybody else's benefit,
14 here's what I did...
15
16 ===================Screen Capture follows=====================
17 livecd ~ # gdisk /dev/sda
18 GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.4
19
20 Partition table scan:
21 MBR: protective
22 BSD: not present
23 APM: not present
24 GPT: present
25
26 Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
27
28 Command (? for help): x
29
30 Expert command (? for help): z
31 About to wipe out GPT on /dev/sda. Proceed? (Y/N): y
32 GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
33 other utilities.
34 Blank out MBR? (Y/N): n
35 MBR is unchanged. You may need to delete an EFI GPT (0xEE) partition
36 with fdisk or another tool.
37 livecd ~ #
39
40 fdisk now starts without the GPT warning.
43 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
44 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications