From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] CVSup vs Gentoo's Rsync
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:13:06
1 Anyone knows?? A google search found interesting details on cvsup.
2 (there's even the purported 50x increase in speed on a 56K
3 link)http://www.cvsup.org/cvsup6.html
4
5 Then I also found a link in one of GWM (Gentoo Weeky News all the way
6 back in 2002 -
7 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20021223-newsletter.xml#doc_chap2_sect4) that states
8
9 [snip]
10 CVSup Under Consideration as Replacement for rsync
11
12 There has been some discussion in the Gentoo developer community about
13 migrating away from Portage's dependency on rsync and instead utilizing
14 CVSup. Currently used in FreeBSD's ports system, CVSup offers a few
15 distinct advantages, as well as challenges, over rsync:
16
17 * Local changes will be preserved if you want them to, just like
18 anoncvs. Anyone who's ever had their package.mask file
19 overwritten by an emerge rsync will appreciate this feature.
20 * CVSup is faster and more efficient than rsync. This means that
21 CVSup can improve the efficiency of our Portage mirroring
22 system.
23 * CVSup's threaded design allows for file transfer begin almost
24 immediately, unlike rsync which must build a complete file list
25 first. Surprisingly, CVSup uses the rsync algorithm (which is
26 very efficient) internally to synchronize individual files, but
27 uses a better approach than rsync when coordinating the updates
28 of large numbers of files.
29 * CVSup is written in Modula 3, which means that transitioning to
30 CVSup will require some non-trivial steps to ensure that we have
31 proper Modula 3 support on all architectures.
32 * CVSup also has the added psychological benefit of making FreeBSD
33 users feel more at home.
34 [/snip]
35
36 Anyone wants to comment??
39 Ow Mun Heng
40 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
41 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
42 Neuromancer 18:07:43 up 4 days, 4:40, 6 users, load average: 1.51, 0.99,
43 0.76
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list