From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:12:11
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 03:44:55 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >> That is when you compile it on another machine then install it on the
6 >> laptop. The -K option comes to mind here.
9 > Which is what I think the OP was talking about. If you install one of the
10 > *-bin packages from portage, you are protected by the checksums in the
11 > ebuild digest. But if you create a binary package repository, there is
12 > currently no means of applying the same protection. So if you are
13 > administering machines at different locations and want to keep a single
14 > binary package repository so you only build once (remember, production
15 > servers may not have gcc installed), there is no means of checking that
16 > the downloaded package has not been tampered with. This protection
17 > applies to ebuilds and distfiles but cannot be applied to packages you
18 > build yourself.
21 But he was responding to me mentioning Redhat and Mandrake which are
22 binary based. Maybe I took his original point wrong.
23 >
24 >> I also think that the "choice" is in what you install as far as programs
25 >> and the options they have available. Gentoo is Linux from Scratch with
26 >> a serious package manager. "Choice" is not about having binaries or
27 >> not. Also keep in mind that if a binary has something compiled in that
28 >> you don't want or need, you are stuck with it and its dependencies.
31 > This is not about precompiled packages from a distro. Portage already has
32 > the mechanism for "build once, install many", it is just lacking some of
33 > the safeguards at the install stage that are present for the build stage.
38 True, but I was comparing to distros that are binary based not that you
39 compile yourself. Again, the Redhat and Mandrake type of thing.
40
41 I wish I had a laptop sometimes. Then sometimes I'm glad I have my
42 desktop.
43
44 Dale
45