From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:48:21
1 On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 07:06 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 03:44:55 -0600, Dale wrote:
6 > > > That is when you compile it on another machine then install it on the
7 > > > laptop. The -K option comes to mind here.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Which is what I think the OP was talking about. If you install one of the
11 > > *-bin packages from portage, you are protected by the checksums in the
12 > > ebuild digest. But if you create a binary package repository, there is
13 > > currently no means of applying the same protection. So if you are
14 > > administering machines at different locations and want to keep a single
15 > > binary package repository so you only build once (remember, production
16 > > servers may not have gcc installed), there is no means of checking that
17 > > the downloaded package has not been tampered with. This protection
18 > > applies to ebuilds and distfiles but cannot be applied to packages you
19 > > build yourself.
22 > But he was responding to me mentioning Redhat and Mandrake which are
23 > binary based. Maybe I took his original point wrong.
24
25 Exactly :)
26 Neil correctly translated my pseudo-English to what I actually meant. I
27 don't want to make Portage binary based. I just want to make Portage's
28 binary package support more conveniently usable on big networks.