From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to upgrade postgresql under gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:30:27
1 On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 06:26:02 AM covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I thought gentoo would only give you versions of software that were
3 > considered mainstream upstream, that the ~ was only for the ebuilds.
4 >
5 > J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > On Monday, November 10, 2014 08:06:50 AM covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > > > Then they should not change the catalog version -- what is that, anyway?
8 > >
9 > > You are using a Beta-version. Those are under development and NOT suited
10 > > for production.
11 > > If you use a beta-version of any software package, you run the risk of
12 > > loosing your data.
13 > > I am not surprised that the layout of the on-disk storage changes between
14 > > beta versions while the devs try to implement new functionality.
15 > > You might even have been running with an incompatible combination in the
16 > > previous beta.
17 > >
18 > > --
19 > > Joost
22 Please don't top-post.
23
24 The "~" is for the actual software. The ebuilds themselves, considering they
25 are quite small, are generally bug-free.
28 Joost