From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel parameters for VirtualBox
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:02:03
1 On Wednesday 17 February 2016 15:11:50 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 01:32:56 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I'm going round in circles here. I've been running VirtualBox and
4 > > BOINC for years with no problems to speak of.
5 > >
6 > > Over the last year or more I've experienced mysterious failures in many
7 > > programs, some of them real nuisances, and recently I decided to replace
8 > > my RAM modules with a single matched set, which seems to have done the
9 > > trick - so far! It's required complete recompilation of everything, and
10 > > throwing away quite a lot of data that seemed to have been damaged at
11 > > some time (hello KMail).
12 >
13 > Corruption due to bad memory can't be blamed on the actual software.
14
15 No, of course not. It's just that KMail can't cope with whatever kind of
16 damage was caused. Archiving and importing the 30,000 mails didn't cure it
17 either.
18
19 > > Now however I can't get VirtualBox running properly. I've tried the latest
20 > > stable version and two testing versions, but at every login via KDM I get
21 > > a
22 > > pop-up notice "VBoxClient: the VirtualBox kernel service is not running."
23 > > That's without any clients active or trying to be. If I then start
24 > > virtualbox- guest-additions I get this:
25 > >
26 > > # /etc/init.d/virtualbox-guest-additions start
30 > > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxguest': No such device
31 > > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': No such device
32 > >
33 > > * ERROR: virtualbox-guest-additions failed to start
34 >
35 > This is ONLY for guests, NOT the host.
36
37 As I thought. However, some BOINC projects download a .vdi file and present it
38 to VirtualBox as a guest. I wasn't sure (while going round in circles) whether
39 that required me to set some kernel options to suit.
40
41 > > I assume I'm missing something in my kernel config, but I can't see what.
42 > >
43 > > linux # grep -i virt .config
44 > > # CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN is not set
45 > > CONFIG_HAVE_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN=y
46 > > CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
47 > > # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
48 > > # CONFIG_SND_VIRTUOSO is not set
49 > > CONFIG_VIRT_DRIVERS=y
50 > > # Virtio drivers
51 > > # CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI is not set
52 > > # CONFIG_VIRTIO_MMIO is not set
53 > > # CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL is not set
54 > > CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
55 >
56 > VirtualBox does NOT use these.
57 > I only have the following set:
58 > # CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN is not set
59 > CONFIG_HAVE_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN=y
60 > CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
61
62 Okay. I've tried that and I still get the pop-up notice "VBoxClient: the
63 VirtualBox kernel service is not running." This is with version 4.3.32. I'll
64 try later versions and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
65
66 > > Most of those unset values are for when this kernel is running as a guest
67 > > of another OS, so I assume I don't need them when running as the host OS.
68 > > Others I can't set because they're hidden until I set the values to be a
69 > > guest.
70 > >
71 > > I can find lots of other people struggling with this and similar problems,
72 > > but no fix.
73 > >
74 > > Any ideas here?
75 >
76 > Yes, for the host, make sure you load the virtualbox modules:
77 >
78 > % lsmod | grep vbox
79 > vboxpci 12760 0
80 > vboxnetflt 16280 0
81 > vboxnetadp 17808 0
82 > vboxdrv 347894 3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci
85 > I achieve this with the following:
86 >
87 > % cat /etc/conf.d/modules | grep vbox
88 > modules="vboxdrv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci"
89 >
90 > These can be found in " app-emulation/virtualbox-modules "
91 >
92 > It tells you to do this in the post-emerge:
93 >
94 > * If you are using sys-apps/openrc, please add "vboxdrv", "vboxnetflt"
95 > * and "vboxnetadp" to:
96 > * /etc/conf.d/modules
97
98 Yes, of course I did that long ago. I also found that it's important to
99 specify vboxnetadp before vboxnetflt, otherwise adp doesn't get loaded.
102 Rgds
103 Peter