From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:11:05
1 On 10/04/12 14:26, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > With the recent speed bump on my ADSL service from 5 megabps to 6
3 > (don't laugh), I can now download 1080p Youtube Flash videos almost fast
4 > enough to keep up. E.g. a 20 or 25 second headstart will allow me to
5 > play a 5 minute video before it has to buffer. On some html5 videos
6 > (Firefox with USE="webm"), The download is actually a touch faster than
7 > the playback, and there's no buffering at all.
8 >
9 > Some of you may remember my struggles to get my 4-year-old Dell to
10 > eventually display hockey games on NHL GameCenter even at the lowest
11 > available speed using the onboard Intel GPU. Well, I can play the HD
12 > Youtube videos with the "small player" or "large player", but fullscreen
13 > is hopeless. The onboard GPU can't keep up. So I'm looking at getting
14 > a PCI video card. Any relatively new PCI video card that is supported
15 > by an open-source driver, including hardware acceleration? Any
16 > experiences, good/bad/so-so?
17
18 This is a CPU problem, not GPU. Try to install
19 media-video/smplayer-0.8.0 (older versions don't support YouTube), and
20 open the YouTube video link in it. In the preferences ("performance"
21 section) you can select the quality at which to open the videos.