From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:42:33
1 On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:32 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
3 >> Lots of folks everywhere are saying "no thanks anyway." I'd be
4 >> shocked if embedded was any different. Lots of distros want nothing
5 >> to do with it, and lots of distros are switching over wholeheartedly.
6 >> I'm not really sure what this has to do with Gentoo though.
7 >
8 > Many distros are forking or contemplating forks:
9 >
10 > https://devuan.org/
11 >
12 > So your all or nothing scenario is a bit more complex; and
13 > many users will migrate to other distros, with systemd or not
14 > being one of the key elements in their decision, imho.
15
16 What all or nothing scenario would that be? I certainly didn't speak
17 of one. Should I have added "lots of distros are using both, and lots
18 of distros are doing something else" as well?
19
20 My point really was that "lots of people do foo" really doesn't mean
21 much of anything. There are lots of distros out there, so there are
22 likely to be lots of distros doing anything. And, in any case this is
23 really just talking about popularity, which is nice, but not really
24 all that important.
27 Rich