From: Anthony Metcalf <nevyn@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo x86 to AMD64
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:06:50
1 Matthias Bethke wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm not sure I understood #1 correctly but it sounds like neither will
4 > work. Going 32->64bit (or vice versa) always requires a fresh install.
5 > What I *think* you could do to reduce the hassle of updating all your
6 > configs is to start off with a partition with your 32bit system on it
7 > and use that for the regular Gentoo install procedure, i.e. slap the
8 > tarballs on top and then do all the emerging. But it would certainly
9 > leave some garbage around in /lib etc. so I wouldn't recommend it. If
10 > you didn't actually change the hardware so you don't have to reconfigure
11 > your kernel and stuff, a fresh install using your old world file
12 > shouldn't take more than a day.
13 >
14 > cheers,
15 > Matthias
16 >
17 #1 would definitely work, my current system would just become another
18 guest in the esx server.....Which isn't bad, but like I say, it's a bad
19 use of resources and makes implementing other VMs more painful than it
20 could be.....