From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [O/T] netstat security puzzle
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 07:27:10
1 On Friday 16 Dec 2016 19:19:11 Poison BL. wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I am looking at a Mint 18 installation and noticed when running netstat
4 > > that
5 > > all tcp connections are showing not the PC name, but "Knoppix":<port>.
6 > >
7 > > What might be the cause of this? The installation was performed using a
8 > > Mint
9 > > LiveCD iso.
10 > > --
11 > > Regards,
12 > > Mick
13 >
14 > My first check would be /etc/hosts for an entry there. That, or lazily
15 > grepping all of /etc for Knoppix.
16 >
17 > It is strange that it's not using either the hostname as given during
18 > setup, or an auto-generated potentially unique one, wherever it's pulling
19 > that from.
20
21 I've grep-ped the whole of /etc, no mention of "Knoppix" there.
22
23 I've also looked in /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient-enp6s8.conf to see what
24 hostname NetworkManager sends to dhclient. No trace of "Knoppix" in there
25 either.
26
27 What else could it be creating or overriding a Local Address with one called
28 "Knoppix", rather than what was set at installation time?
31 Regards,
32 Mick