From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:35:18
1 sorry for breaking in... a very interesting discussion :)
2
3 On 20.04.2013 19:41, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > ...
5 > But back to audio. My needs are simplistic - all sound goes through the
6 > laptop speakers and I need one global volume knob. When a headset is
7 > plugged into the 3.5mm jack, all sound goes there. For a mic, I have the
8 > internal one and whilst there is a 3.5mm jack for an external mic, I've
9 > never used it but I do expect it to work when plugged in and to
10 > disconnect the internal mic.
11
12 Absolutely true. I also can predict that ALSA config tools are at least
13 no more complicated than any other sound system's, including PA.
14
15 > Folk like Canek have complex setups that would drive me insane. I'm more
16 > than happy to fiddle with all that on my HTPC and home audio system, but
17 > never on my laptop.
18 >
19 > There's the extremes. Now, how would we determine the % numbers of how
20 > real users really use real audio?
21
22 Probably there's no way. But at large, I believe it would not be a big
23 error to say that 90% of linux users never need anything in excess of
24 ALSA. Even that is, well, too optimistic for PA.
25
26 When I heard about some sort of problems with apps when starting them in
27 a wrong order, or bugs in Flash, or in WINE, or wherever, and *the*
28 sound server which is designed to fix those bugs, eh... Well, just
29 remember a couple of years ago when there was OSS, and ALSA came in to
30 fix the problems of OSS-aware software. And now one'd say: here's *the*
31 sound server that solves all problems of ALSA-using software, ... so the
32 question is how long will it take to create another sound-superserver
33 which will take care of problems with *that* already-fixing-everything
34 soundserver? Or should bugs probably be fixed in the bugged software?
35
36 Another aspect, to my mind, is that there's a misunderstanding what
37 "sound server" is for. A software on its own should not need any kind of
38 server, it should just input/output audio. ALSA is itself pretty well
39 aware of what is input and what is output. If one needs something like
40 playing one stream through e.g. mic and recording another stream through
41 e.g. headphones, he'd just install whatever sound server he deems fit.
42 But it's improper to have apps use the "sound server" interface
43 directly, it's like a browser being forced to use MAC addresses instead
44 of HTTP (or sockets). Why ever build apps with pulseaudio support (or
45 any other stuff of that sort) if it is just a layer atop the sound
46 system? And that's the problem with pulseaudio: it wants too much.
47 Another example, there's music composition software for windows which
48 uses e.g. ASIO. But it's kinda stupid to require all windows audio
49 software to support ASIO.
50 As for complex cases, there are some, certainly. But the rule is: don't
51 oversimplify the complex, nor -- overcomplicate the simple. The latter
52 seems the way to go for Lennart ...
55 Best wishes,
56 Yuri K. Shatroff