From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:42:16
1 On 20/04/2013 11:34, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 >> If you need it, PA can be great. Not everyone needs or wants it, many
3 >> > people are quite content to just carry on as they always did and aren't
4 >> > fazed with minor niggles about their audio. You seem to fall in this
5 >> > category, so do many others.
6
7 > I think you've hit the nail on the head. Complex setups require
8 > complex software... deal with it. An analogy is that an 18-wheeler
9 > semi-tractor trailer with a 17-speed manual transmission (plus air brakes
10 > that require months of training to manage/use) is much more powerful
11 > than a Chevy Sonic hatchback when it comes to hauling huge loads. But
12 > for someoneone who merely wants to zip out to the supermarket and buy a
13 > week's groceries, the hatchback is much more appropriate.
16 :-)
17
18 Well in my case it's the wife's Honda Accord station-wagon with the
19 gigantic boot I need for a month's groceries. But, I have teenagers in
20 my house. Teenagers change /everything/ :-)
21
22 But back to audio. My needs are simplistic - all sound goes through the
23 laptop speakers and I need one global volume knob. When a headset is
24 plugged into the 3.5mm jack, all sound goes there. For a mic, I have the
25 internal one and whilst there is a 3.5mm jack for an external mic, I've
26 never used it but I do expect it to work when plugged in and to
27 disconnect the internal mic.
28
29 Folk like Canek have complex setups that would drive me insane. I'm more
30 than happy to fiddle with all that on my HTPC and home audio system, but
31 never on my laptop.
32
33 There's the extremes. Now, how would we determine the % numbers of how
34 real users really use real audio?
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com