From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 01:16:02
1 On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Folk like Canek have complex setups that would drive me insane. I'm more
3 > than happy to fiddle with all that on my HTPC and home audio system, but
4 > never on my laptop.
5
6 I'm pretty sure having a USB external harddrive was, at some point, a
7 "complex setup". Guess what: it isn't now.
8
9 Guess another one: having a BT headset is not, by all means, a
10 "complex setup" in this year and age.
11
12 > There's the extremes. Now, how would we determine the % numbers of how
13 > real users really use real audio?
14
15 It doesn't really matter; if Linux cannot handle normal systems (and
16 sorry, but handling a BT headset is, by all means, a "normal system"),
17 then Linux is no more than a server OS and perhaps a nice hobby OS.
18
19 So normal systems require PA. That *you* perhaps don't require PA is
20 another thing altogether.
21
22 This is, after all, the XXI century.
23