From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacements for ivman
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:56:25
1 On Saturday 11 October 2008 23:40:37 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > > If there's something better than ivman, or if I really should be
3 > > configuration HAL directly, then I'm all ears, but I do get the
4 > > impression that one really should be working with HAL via a front-end for
5 > > true ease of use
6 >
7 > I also think having software that is unmaintained or updated very seldom
8 > is not a good thing. I mean you lack features, bug and security fixes
9 > here. When I see no progress for an app that I use quite often I search
10 > for alternatives and get used to it.
11 >
12 > You are right hal is quite messy and it is not worth to struggle with as
13 > it is not developed any longer [1]. It will be replaced with
14 > devicekit, maybe this will be a better implementation.
15 [snip]
16 >
17 > [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011560.html
18
19 This was a *very* illuminating post. Answered a lot of questions I had, like
20 the one where I couldn't figure out the conceptual difference between HAL and
21 udev and how they related to each other. They always appeared to overlap in
22 useless ways.
23
24 Thanks for the link!
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com