From: schroder@×××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with kmail
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:03:37
1 On Tuesday 03 January 2006 02:10, a tiny voice compelled Rumen Yotov to write:
2 > On (02/01/06 17:31), brettholcomb@×××××××××.net wrote:
3 > > Ernie, are you doing anything special here? I'm running KDE and simply
4 > > went into the accounts and set up my pop server (mail.bellsouth.net) and
5 > > it works. Same for T-bird. BTW, look at Korn for a newsreader .
6
7 I'm not trying to do anything special... just get kmail to send mail. I have a
8 bellsouth account as well as a Netplex account. Both were set up for pop server
9 and worked fine until I deleted old KDE versions and did some house cleaning. It
10 would seem that I removed what ever is supposed to handle authentication to my
11 ISP's SMTP server, or possibly I borked some config file somewhere. IIRC, when
12 I installed Gentoo 3 years ago, I set it up to use the reccomended MTA, and
13 everything just worked. I can't tell what, if anything I may have done to blow
14 the mail sending, but, in all honesty, I've tried a lot of ways to fix this and
15 am unsure of all the changes I've made. What MTA are you using? I've seen in my
16 searches something written about MDA's but can't find out what, if any MDA I
17 should be running or what an MDA does.
18 > >
19 > > > From: schroder@×××××.net
20 > > > Date: 2006/01/02 Mon PM 05:22:55 EST
21 > > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
22 > > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with kmail
23 > > >
24 > > > On Monday 02 January 2006 11:53, a tiny voice compelled Rumen Yotov to
25 write:
26 > > > > Hi,
27 > > > > Not very much help, but it seems you're using a postfix server to
28 > > > > process to mail.
29 > > >
30 > > > I've got no idea how to set up postfix. If I'm going to use it, I'll
31 > > > need a howto or some pointers. I only installed postfix to try to get
32 > > > kmail working. In order to run kmail or thunderbird, what MTA should I
33 > > > be using? I obviously blew off something when I did a depclean and I'm
34 > > > lost at this point as to what I need to get email sending working
35 > > > again.I have a mepis CD here. I'm thinking I should boot to that and
36 > > > see what I can figure out. does anyone have suggestions as to what I
37 > > > should be looking for?
38 > > >
39 > > > I've looked at qmail, it seems postfix blocks it. I suppose I won't be
40 > > > any worse off without postfix. I'll read up on qmail and see if it will
41 > > > serve my purpose for the short term, but I REALLY want to get kmail
42 > > > working. I'm becomming obsessed, perturbed and frustrated.
43 > > > --
44 > > > Regards, Ernie
45 > > > 100% Microsoft and Intel free
46 > > > --
47 > > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
48 > >
49 > > --
50 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
51 >
52 > Hi,
53 > You don't need 'postfix' (nor 'qmail') to send mail using your ISP's
54 > mail-servers. So check (and change if need be) the settings in Kmail&TB to
55 > use your ISP mail-server. Currenly you must be using the local postfix
56 > server to process the mail and as it's not configured it breaks. Usually
57 > it's something like: mail.ISP-name-here.com Check again username & password
58 > for the server. Unmerge 'postfix' - not needed. HTH.Rumen
59
60 user name and password are correct, or I wouldn't be able to access the webmail
61 interface. I'm thinking that I am lacking a service or that my MTA is not being
62 seen. IMHP, I am missing something very basic in my mail setup, but I'm
63 thouroughly lost. (postfix unmerged)
64 --
65 Regards, Ernie
66 100% Microsoft and Intel free
67
68 09:38:09 up 1 day, 13:58, 6 users, load average: 0.17, 0.08, 0.23
69 Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list