From: twang.umn@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox crash
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:28:44
1 Hi,
2
3 Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that next time. But I know that the system can still play music by using other application.
4 y
5 On 01:01 Wed 18 Jul , Alex Schuster wrote:
6 > twang.umn@×××××.com writes:
7 >
8 > > I am a newbie to gentoo. These days I met a serious problem for me.
9 > > When I using firefox to browse youtube.com, it always crashed. Even
10 > > worse, the system will crash, not just the X, because I cannot login
11 > > again after use "ctr+alt+backspace". And I cannot get any error message
12 > > about this problem( maybe I dont know how to get that message). But I
13 > > can use console still.
14 >
15 > Sometimes when killing X ist is not automatically restarted on my systems,
16 > maybe you need to run /etc/init.d/xdm restart from a text console to make
17 > this work.
18 > Instead of Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, I would use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go directly to a
19 > text console. There I would have a look at the at the last lines
20 > of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the output of "top", maybe this shows
21 > something like a nspluginviewer process gone wild which you can kill.
22 > Also try to kill firefox, will X work fine again then? Use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
25 > > Another problem happening togather with the above one is that I cannot
26 > > use mpd since the system crashed.
27 >
28 > Do other sound applications work, does "ls > /dev/sound/dsp" work and
29 > produce a sound?
30 >
31 > Alex
32 > --