From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox crash
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:14:33
1 twang.umn@×××××.com writes:
2
3 > I am a newbie to gentoo. These days I met a serious problem for me.
4 > When I using firefox to browse youtube.com, it always crashed. Even
5 > worse, the system will crash, not just the X, because I cannot login
6 > again after use "ctr+alt+backspace". And I cannot get any error message
7 > about this problem( maybe I dont know how to get that message). But I
8 > can use console still.
9
10 Sometimes when killing X ist is not automatically restarted on my systems,
11 maybe you need to run /etc/init.d/xdm restart from a text console to make
12 this work.
13 Instead of Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, I would use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go directly to a
14 text console. There I would have a look at the at the last lines
15 of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the output of "top", maybe this shows
16 something like a nspluginviewer process gone wild which you can kill.
17 Also try to kill firefox, will X work fine again then? Use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
20 > Another problem happening togather with the above one is that I cannot
21 > use mpd since the system crashed.
22
23 Do other sound applications work, does "ls > /dev/sound/dsp" work and
24 produce a sound?
25
26 Alex
27 --