From: gentuxx <gentuxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to see network activity?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:39:05
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > this has been a fascinating conversation. thanks boris for starting it.
6 > i've tested almost everything that has been mentioned.
7 >
8 > i often have to monitor my computers over slow text-only ssh
9 > sessions, so my
10 > focus may be a bit different from others.
11 >
12 > tcpdump (and ethereal/wireshark) of course can not be beat for
13 > looking inside
14 > packets.
15 >
16 > to see what connections are open and how much data they are
17 > transferring, in a
18 > telnet/ssh situation i like bmon and iftop. i especially appreciate the
19 > "graphical" feature of bmon.
20 >
21 > in real graphical environments, i like etherape.
22 >
23 > thanks to everyone who has contributed so much wisdom