From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to see network activity?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:51:17
1 On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, gentuxx wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
7 >> this has been a fascinating conversation. thanks boris for starting it.
8 >> i've tested almost everything that has been mentioned.
9 >>
10 >> i often have to monitor my computers over slow text-only ssh
11 >> sessions, so my
12 >> focus may be a bit different from others.
13 >>
14 >> tcpdump (and ethereal/wireshark) of course can not be beat for
15 >> looking inside
16 >> packets.
17 >>
18 >> to see what connections are open and how much data they are
19 >> transferring, in a
20 >> telnet/ssh situation i like bmon and iftop. i especially appreciate the
21 >> "graphical" feature of bmon.
22 >>
23 >> in real graphical environments, i like etherape.
24 >>
25 >> thanks to everyone who has contributed so much wisdom