From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'wifi' USE flag in firefox
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:28:25
1 On Wednesday 21 April 2010 16:20:57 erdunand@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:01:20AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 > > There are already big sites like Twitter and Google Maps that use the
4 > > geolocation API. Give it a try: http://www.google.com/maps/m
5 > >
6 > > If it is able to get your location, it should have a little dot in the
7 > > bottom-right corner that will take you to your current location when
8 > > clicked.
9 > >
10 > > The browser asks for your permission before giving your location away
11 > > to a website, so there's no need to worry about privacy as far as I
12 > > can tell. It is surprisingly accurate, I don't know what kind of magic
13 > > they use but I live in a small town (1 square mile in size) and it was
14 > > able to pinpoint me down to that level. Maybe from my search/browsing
15 > > history? I don't know... maybe I don't want to know. :)
16 >
17 > I think it doesn't locate you but your dslam or its fiber or voiceband
18 > equivalent.
19 > Well, it's only a supposition and I may be all wrong but it sounds more
20 > realistic than infering your physical location based on your browsing
21 > history :D
22
23 "Your currnet location is unavailable"
24
25 ... phew! I started to get paranoid with all this. ;-)
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick