From: erdunand@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'wifi' USE flag in firefox
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:23:51
1 On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:01:20AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > There are already big sites like Twitter and Google Maps that use the
3 > geolocation API. Give it a try: http://www.google.com/maps/m
4 >
5 > If it is able to get your location, it should have a little dot in the
6 > bottom-right corner that will take you to your current location when
7 > clicked.
8 >
9 > The browser asks for your permission before giving your location away
10 > to a website, so there's no need to worry about privacy as far as I
11 > can tell. It is surprisingly accurate, I don't know what kind of magic
12 > they use but I live in a small town (1 square mile in size) and it was
13 > able to pinpoint me down to that level. Maybe from my search/browsing
14 > history? I don't know... maybe I don't want to know. :)
17 I think it doesn't locate you but your dslam or its fiber or voiceband
18 equivalent.
19 Well, it's only a supposition and I may be all wrong but it sounds more
20 realistic than infering your physical location based on your browsing
21 history :D
24 Éric Valérian DUNAND