From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'wifi' USE flag in firefox
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:01:53
1 On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 20 Apr 2010, at 13:17, Mick wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> ...
7 >>> "Introduced in Gecko 1.9.1: Code with UniversalXPConnect privileges
8 >>> can monitor the list of available WiFi access points to obtain
9 >>> information about them including their SSID, MAC address, and signal
10 >>> strength. This capability was introduced primarily to allow WiFi-based
11 >>> location services to be used by geolocation services."
12 >>
13 >> Hmm Mozilla's netlib. I had a look at the slides and bits of the
14 >> documentation on the Mozilla website, but I am still not really clear
15 >> what it does, or why it is needed.
18 > I *believe* that the idea of having geolocation accessible to the browser is
19 > so that websites should be able to provide locally-relevant information.
20 >
21 > The classic browser has no idea where you are, so if you open the homepage
22 > of Starbucks / McDonalds / Burgerking / Tesco / Sainsburys / whatever and
23 > click on "find my nearest store" then you'll need to enter your zip code in
24 > order for the site to provide you that information.
25 >
26 > I *believe* that a geolocation-aware browser would be able to tell the site
27 > where you are. So as soon as you open the webpage, the site will query your
28 > browser, your browser will tell it where you are and an AJAXy element on the
29 > page would say "Your nearest Tesco store is 13th Street... Click here for
30 > directions".
33 There are already big sites like Twitter and Google Maps that use the
34 geolocation API. Give it a try: http://www.google.com/maps/m
35
36 If it is able to get your location, it should have a little dot in the
37 bottom-right corner that will take you to your current location when
38 clicked.
39
40 The browser asks for your permission before giving your location away
41 to a website, so there's no need to worry about privacy as far as I
42 can tell. It is surprisingly accurate, I don't know what kind of magic
43 they use but I live in a small town (1 square mile in size) and it was
44 able to pinpoint me down to that level. Maybe from my search/browsing
45 history? I don't know... maybe I don't want to know. :)
46
47 What if the Google Street View vans, in addition to taking
48 photographs, were also scanning for wifi signals and recording their
49 location? That would give them an impressive database of wifi
50 "hotspots".
51
52 And, of course, like you said, when I run Firefox on my phone it uses
53 the built-in GPS receiver and can find me quite easily. If there's no
54 GPS signal available it uses a database of cellular tower locations to
55 triangulate where I am, which is much less accurate than GPS but still
56 accurate enough to show within a few blocks of where I am. There are
57 several mobile-oriented sites that use this API today for local
58 searches and so on.