From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'wifi' USE flag in firefox
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:10:39
1 On 21 Apr 2010, at 16:01, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I *believe* that a geolocation-aware browser would be able to tell
4 >> the site
5 >> where you are. So as soon as you open the webpage, the site will
6 >> query your
7 >> browser, your browser will tell it where you are and an AJAXy
8 >> element on the
9 >> page would say "Your nearest Tesco store is 13th Street... Click
10 >> here for
11 >> directions".
14 > There are already big sites like Twitter and Google Maps that use the
15 > geolocation API. Give it a try: http://www.google.com/maps/m
16 >
17 > If it is able to get your location, it should have a little dot in the
18 > bottom-right corner that will take you to your current location when
19 > clicked.
20
21 Thanks!
22
23 That doesn't find my current location using my desktop Mac and Safari.
24 I CBA to try it with my current mobile phone which, although a "smart
25 phone", is an older model. I may get a flashy new Android unit soon,
26 so maybe I'll try it then.
27
28 > What if the Google Street View vans, in addition to taking
29 > photographs, were also scanning for wifi signals and recording their
30 > location? That would give them an impressive database of wifi
31 > "hotspots".
32
33 Indeed. I considered this when writing my previous response, but I
34 didn't know how interested readers would be. One could write quite a
35 lot on this subject.
36
37 Google (for instance) could get quite good data from this, but it
38 would be a lot of work. The locations of wifi access-points could be
39 triangulated quite accurately, but it's not really very clear how long
40 the data will stay accurate. There are probably hot-spots in town
41 centres and at fast-food restaurants which are static in the order of
42 5 years.
43
44 However once into residential areas, the SSIDs of APs may change quite
45 often, as residents move house or switch broadband providers. I'm not
46 sure about the US, but here in the UK (and I would imagine throughout
47 Europe) the majority of wifi access-points are supplied by ADSL and
48 cable ISPs. They like their customers to use their branded "BT
49 Homehub" (BT = British Telecom), or "Orange Livebox" in order to
50 reduce support overheads, and also because these are locked to their
51 DSL networks and thus help tie-in customers.
52
53 Nevertheless, customers typically change suppliers every 18 -24
54 months, just as soon as their contract expires and they see a new
55 "deal" from another ISP. So the SSID of Homehub1234, plotted 2 years
56 ago, may very well no longer be there. The widespread SSIDs of
57 "Linksys" and "Netgear" must be ignored, unless it is possible to
58 identify them by MAC address without authenticating.
59
60 Thus geolocation using wifi APs becomes quite a fraught problem, and
61 I'm not sure it's worth it, considering the how much more widespread
62 is use of mobile phones with GPS (or a cell-tower database).
63
64 Stroller.