From: Robert David <robert.david@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 11:12:05
1 Hi John,
2
3 my approach is to have EFI partition with staticly compiled grub, alpine
4 linux rescue system and kernel with tiny initramfs for zfs root.
5
6 It works really well, only thing you need to consider is when upgrading
7 root pool, you will not be able to boot to previous BE with old zfs.
8 Without upgrading the pool, the transition is just easy as recompiling
9 new kernel and upgrading the zfs userspace tools.
10
11 For the alpine I use script to put a new version on /boot
12 https://github.com/robertek/root-scripts/blob/master/alpine_recovery_update
13
14 and having grub entry:
15
16 menuentry "Alpine linux recovery" {
17 linux /boot/vmlinuz-lts modules=loop,squashfs,sd-mod,nvme quiet
18 nomodeset
19 initrd /boot/initramfs-lts
20 }
21
22 The alpine extended version contains zfs modules, so you only need to
23 "apk add zfs" and then modprobe zfs.
24
25 The extended version is little bit bigger, but I'm fine to live with 1G efi
26 partition.
27
28 Robert.
29