From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:33:26
1 On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 07:11:53 -0400,
2 Robert David wrote:
3 >
4 > Hi John,
5 >
6 > my approach is to have EFI partition with staticly compiled grub, alpine
7 > linux rescue system and kernel with tiny initramfs for zfs root.
8 >
9 > It works really well, only thing you need to consider is when upgrading
10 > root pool, you will not be able to boot to previous BE with old zfs.
11 > Without upgrading the pool, the transition is just easy as recompiling
12 > new kernel and upgrading the zfs userspace tools.
13 >
14 > For the alpine I use script to put a new version on /boot
15 > https://github.com/robertek/root-scripts/blob/master/alpine_recovery_update
16 >
17 > and having grub entry:
18 >
19 > menuentry "Alpine linux recovery" {
20 > linux /boot/vmlinuz-lts modules=loop,squashfs,sd-mod,nvme quiet
21 > nomodeset
22 > initrd /boot/initramfs-lts
23 > }
24 >
25 > The alpine extended version contains zfs modules, so you only need to
26 > "apk add zfs" and then modprobe zfs.
27 >
28 > The extended version is little bit bigger, but I'm fine to live with 1G efi
29 > partition.
30 >
31 > Robert.
32 >