From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:39:18
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 2010-09-06, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> For a given height, a 16:9 display is 30% wider. I want nice tall
7 >>> display (prefereably at least 9-10") without having to increase the
8 >>> width beyond what a standard "laptop" style keyboard takes up (about
9 >>> 12-13 inches).
10 >>
11 >> It is certainly true that, if the height of the display is the key
12 >> factor and hence fixed, a wider screen will add more inches (I again
13 >> assume square pixels).
14 >>
15 >> However, those extra inches and resulting extra pixels are far from
16 >> useless.
17 >
18 > I'm not saying that a wide display is useless. When it comes to
19 > desktop displays bigger is always better (in either axis).
20 >
21 > I'm saying I don't want to have to haul around a laptop thats 18" wide
22 > so that I can have a display that's tall enough to comfortably edit
23 > code on.
24
25 OK if you don't edit code on your laptop.
26
27 >> I believe you are selling "two up" short.
28 >
29 > No, I'm not. Two up is great on a desktop, where the extra width and
30 > weight aren't a penalty.
31
32 Laptop size and weight are indeed a penalty. But you should assume that
33 even on a laptop, common usage for some is to have 2-up either for code
34 or course development
35
36 >> When I am preparing a course, I have the html up in one (emacs)
37 >> window and the resulting web page in another (firefox) window
38 >> immediately to its right. Heck I very much use and enjoy 3-up on my
39 >> large (30" 2560x1600) monitor.
40 >
41 > We're talking about laptops. How would you like hauling around a 30"
42 > wide laptop?
43
44 The first sentence was about 2-up and hence appropriate for laptops,
45 indeed for my very own laptop that I bring to NYU every day I teach.
46 My comment about the big monitor was to show that even 3-up is useful.
47 I don't see where I suggested that 3-up would be available for laptops.
48
49 Summary:
50
51 1. Extra width for 2-up is for me *very* useful in a laptop.
52 2. Specious arguments from a salesperson occur for all choices
53 so don't seem to be a good criterion.
54
55 allan