From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 02:04:59
1 On 2010-09-06, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> For a given height, a 16:9 display is 30% wider. I want nice tall
5 >> display (prefereably at least 9-10") without having to increase the
6 >> width beyond what a standard "laptop" style keyboard takes up (about
7 >> 12-13 inches).
8 >
9 > It is certainly true that, if the height of the display is the key
10 > factor and hence fixed, a wider screen will add more inches (I again
11 > assume square pixels).
12 >
13 > However, those extra inches and resulting extra pixels are far from
14 > useless.
15
16 I'm not saying that a wide display is useless. When it comes to
17 desktop displays bigger is always better (in either axis).
18
19 I'm saying I don't want to have to haul around a laptop thats 18" wide
20 so that I can have a display that's tall enough to comfortably edit
21 code on.
22
23 > I believe you are selling "two up" short.
24
25 No, I'm not. Two up is great on a desktop, where the extra width and
26 weight aren't a penalty.
27
28 > When I am preparing a course, I have the html up in one (emacs)
29 > window and the resulting web page in another (firefox) window
30 > immediately to its right. Heck I very much use and enjoy 3-up on my
31 > large (30" 2560x1600) monitor.
32
33 We're talking about laptops. How would you like hauling around a 30"
34 wide laptop?
37 Grant