From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:48:31
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > For a given height, a 16:9 display is 30% wider. I want nice tall
4 > display (prefereably at least 9-10") without having to increase the
5 > width beyond what a standard "laptop" style keyboard takes up (about
6 > 12-13 inches).
7
8 It is certainly true that, if the height of the display is the key
9 factor and hence fixed, a wider screen will add more inches (I again
10 assume square pixels).
11
12 However, those extra inches and resulting extra pixels are far from
13 useless. I believe you are selling "two up" short. When I am preparing
14 a course, I have the html up in one (emacs) window and the resulting web
15 page in another (firefox) window immediately to its right. Heck I very
16 much use and enjoy 3-up on my large (30" 2560x1600) monitor.
17
18 > Perhaps I'm too cynical, but IMO the "cheap" factor is why we got 16:9
19 > displays on laptops in the first place. A 15" 16:9 display is roughly
20 > 10% smaller (cheaper) than a 15" 4:3 display. But, the salesdroid can
21 > talk the consumer into paying more for a cheaper product: "Wow, for
22 > only $100 more we can move you up from a 15" regular display to a 15"
23 > WIDESCREEN display!
24 >
25 > $100 more and it's 1.6" shorter and has 10% less screen area!
26 >
27 > What a deal!!
28
29 You are correct that this salesperson was, perhaps out of
30 ignorance--perhaps malice) making a specious argument. But limiting
31 purchases to items for which a salesperson cannot argue speciously, is
32 not the best selection criterion.
33
34 allan