From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raid 5 creation is slow - Can this be done quicker?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:46:35
1 On Monday 01 February 2010 14:20:28 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 1 Feb 2010, at 11:58, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > I am currently installing a new server and am using Linux software
5 > > raid to
6 > > merge 6 * 1.5TB drives in a RAID5 configuration.
7 > >
8 > > Creating the RAID5 takes over 20 hours (according to " cat /proc/
9 > > mdstat ")
10 > >
11 > > Is there a way that will speed this up? The drives are new, but
12 > > contain random
13 > > data left over from some speed and reliability tests I did. I don't
14 > > care about
15 > > keeping the current 'data', as long as when the array is reliable
16 > > later.
17 > >
18 > > Can I use the " --assume-clean " option with mdadm and then expect
19 > > it to keep
20 > > working, even through reboots?
21 > > Or is this a really bad idea?
22 >
23 > It wasn't my intention to chide you - I don't use software RAID
24 > myself, and your question piqued my curiosity - but the first three
25 > Google hits for "assume-clean" indicate that this isn't safe to use
26 > with RAID5.
27 >
28 > The 4th Google hit contains an extract from the manpage:
29 >
30 > ... It can
31 > also be used when creating a RAID1 or RAID10 if you want
32 > to avoid the initial resync, however this practice --
33 > while normally safe -- is not recommended. Use this
34 > only if you really know what you are doing.
35
36 I did find the same results on Google, but not really a proper explanation as
37 to why it's a "bad idea". Unfortunately, my budget doesn't extend to a
38 hardware raid solution. (The cheap cards offload it to the CPU anyway and are
39 generally considered slower in various benchmarks)
40
41 > I kinda expected this 20 hours to be spent verifying that the disks
42 > contain no bad sectors, which would really hose you if it were the case.
43
44 True, but I already ran "badblocks" twice on each disk to verify that the
45 disks are fine. (No badblocks found).
46
47 > But OTOH, 20 hours does not seem an outrageous amount of time for
48 > building a 7.5TB array. You're not going to do this often, and you
49 > want it done right.
50
51 Good point, and I agree, which is why I will let it finish it's course, but I
52 also expected it could be done quicker.
53
54 > It would be interesting to know whether hardware RAID would behave any
55 > differently or allow the sync to perform in the background. I have
56 > only 1.5TB in RAID5 across 4 x 500gb drives at present; IIRC the
57 > expansion from 3 x drives took some hours, but I can't recall the
58 > initial setup.
59
60 I'm hoping someone with more knowledge about RAID-systems can throw in his/her
61 2cents.
62
63 Thanks,
64