From: Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raid 5 creation is slow - Can this be done quicker?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:54:29
1 >> It would be interesting to know whether hardware RAID would behave any
2 >> differently or allow the sync to perform in the background. I have
3 >> only 1.5TB in RAID5 across 4 x 500gb drives at present; IIRC the
4 >> expansion from 3 x drives took some hours, but I can't recall the
5 >> initial setup.
6
7 LSI, 3ware and Areca hardware raid controllers are capable of doing a
8 background init but their performance is impacted, I can't speak on
9 other controllers as I haven't used them before. I've built many
10 RAID6 arrays with all three controllers - 8x 1TB and 8x 1.5TB and I'll
11 usually start a foreground init and let them run overnight because it
12 does take a long time. Also, RAID10 is much faster to get up and
13 running because it doesn't have to calculate parity.
17 Kyle