From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 16:56:08
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 >> On 5/20/06, *Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC* <chad@×××××.net
4 >> I like to be one of the good guys. I'm not always sure what that
5 >> means
6 >> in particular cases, so I'm going to ask what I should do here.
7 >> Opinions
8 >> welcome. Flames somewhat less so.
9 >>
10 >> I got a 30-day trial license for vmware, thinking to replace my aging
11 >> Win4Lin. It seems to work (thanks to folks on this list). But I
12 >> notice
13 >> that now that I've created my VMs, I may not need workstation any
14 >> more. I could do very well with the player, which is free.
17 >> I have not used it though I plan on getting the OS X version once my
18 >> Mac Mini arrives...
19 >>
20 >> There is this which fits your budget
21 >>
22 >> <http://www.parallels.com <http://www.parallels.com>/>
23 >
24 > Yes, the price is right, but when I tried it I could not make it work.
25 >
26 > ++ kevin
27
28 I am using VMware 4.x workstation. The workstation performance is
29 better than the free versions. I use Linux for my main desktop, however
30 I do MS Win C# programming for a living so I couldn't just ditch WinXP.
31 I find using VMWare very acceptable performance-wise, about 90% of my
32 AMD64 3200+ speed, with 2GB I don't even notice I am running WinXP in a
33 virtual machine.
34
35 However, the 4.x version is getting a little outdated, and doesn't have
36 the cleanest install on a 2.6 kernel. From time to time, I get sound
37 locking issues, or the VMware kernel modules won't load even though I
38 didn't change my kernel. So I went to look to upgrade/purchase the 5.x
39 version and it is a little costly for home use. It is dirt cheap for
40 corporate use though.
41
42 Thanks for the link to Parallels. The price is great. I will go give
43 it a test and and report back.
46 I would think that Parallels works on Gentoo. They have a screenshot of
47 it running on Gentoo with a Fedora VM.
48
49 http://www.parallels.com/files/upload/ecomfedora_gentoo.gif
50
51 Jim