From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 19:04:09
1 JimD wrote:
2 >> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Yes, the price is right, but when I tried it I could not make it work.
5 >>
6 >> ++ kevin
7 >
8 > I am using VMware 4.x workstation. The workstation performance is
9 > better than the free versions. I use Linux for my main desktop, however
10 > I do MS Win C# programming for a living so I couldn't just ditch WinXP.
11 > I find using VMWare very acceptable performance-wise, about 90% of my
12 > AMD64 3200+ speed, with 2GB I don't even notice I am running WinXP in a
13 > virtual machine.
14 >
15 > However, the 4.x version is getting a little outdated, and doesn't have
16 > the cleanest install on a 2.6 kernel. From time to time, I get sound
17 > locking issues, or the VMware kernel modules won't load even though I
18 > didn't change my kernel. So I went to look to upgrade/purchase the 5.x
19 > version and it is a little costly for home use. It is dirt cheap for
20 > corporate use though.
21 >
22 > Thanks for the link to Parallels. The price is great. I will go give
23 > it a test and and report back.
26 > I would think that Parallels works on Gentoo. They have a screenshot of
27 > it running on Gentoo with a Fedora VM.
28 >
29 > http://www.parallels.com/files/upload/ecomfedora_gentoo.gif
30 >
31 > Jim
32
33 OK, I have WinXP installed in a Parallels VM. Parallels was *very* easy
34 to install. They have an official Gentoo ebuild on their download page!
35
36 I grabbed the ebuild and extracted it to /usr/local/portage. It put the
37 ebuild in app-emulation/parallels-workstation.
38
39 Now just do:
40
41 sudo emerge app-emulation/parallels-workstation
42
43 It downloads a tar.gz file and installs everything. Next run:
44
45 sudo parallels-config
46
47 This sets up the main vm options and compiles kernel mods. It took a
48 few seconds with no errors.
49
50 Now as a regular user just run the app:
51
52 parallels
53
54 A nice wizard walks you through setting up your VM.
55
56 I need to do a lot more testing and usage to give a better opinion.
57 However, I will give what I think so far. The price is great! The
58 overall speed is right up there with VMware IMO. I use VMware
59 workstation 4.x 8 hours a day Mon-Fri to do dev work. VM performance is
60 important to me.
61
62 Make sure you install the parallels tools inside of the VM to get better
63 performance.
64
65 I have noticed two negatives so far.
66
67 1. The video performance is not as fast as VMware 4.x. In VMware 4.x I
68 really don't notice I am using an OS in a VM. With Parallels I have
69 noticed that the mouse can "jerk" a little if you move the mouse a lot,
70 especially on a web page with a Javascript rollover graphic.
71
72 2. The full screen support in VMware 4.x doesn't work for me. So I
73 maximize the window and then use the VMware option to set the guest to
74 fill the scree. I like it this way because I get the largest possible
75 guest resolution while still being able to quickly get to my Linux apps
76 without having to switch from full screen. Full screen support in
77 parallels worked perfectly. However, I haven't found an option to make
78 the guest fit to the host window size. While not a major issue, it is
79 an annoyance to me because I want my guest OS to be as large as possible
80 without being in full screen mode. For now I set the parallels VM to
81 1152x864.
82
83 If parallels can speed up the video a little, it could be a real killer
84 to VMware workstation. VMware workstation has great all around
85 performance, however the price puts it out of reach of home
86 users/developers.
87
88 I will keep doing some more testing. I still have to install Visual
89 Studio 2005, SQL Server 200 Dev and IIS/.Net. I have all of these
90 running in VMware, so I want to see the performance of the same setup in
91 parallels.
92
93 Jim
94 --