From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] `sets' & sets.conf
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 17:00:28
1 On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 11:04:44 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > Can anyone post, in laymans, terms how to use sets.conf. Or thru
4 > FEATURES if thats how its done, I've read the posrtage manpage that
5 > covers it and this URL:
6 >
7 > https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/ch02s02.html#config-set-syntax-single
8 >
9 > Finally reinstalled portage with USE="doc" to get the html set
10 > referred to in portage manual as the definitive place to learn about
11 > sets
12 >
13 > But honestly I left those without a stinking clue how to actually use
14 > sets for things like avoiding specific packages being depcleaned. I
15 > mean besides putting them in `world'
16 >
17 > There seems to be a durth of what actually to put into make.conf under
18 > FEATURES or whatever...
19 >
20 > I want to protect certain pkgs from depclean.... how can I put a small
21 > list under `sets' management in make.conf or sets.conf or ....
22
23 You can create a set containing a list of packages. I do this for
24 dependencies of packages that are not from portage, so they don't get
25 depcleaned and don't end up in @world. Something like
26
27 % cat /etc/portage/sets/dependencies
28 ### Needed by my python hacks
29 dev-python/beautifulsoup:4
30 dev-python/pyserial
31
32 ### Needed by Prey
33 sys-apps/dmidecode
34
35 Then emerge -n @dependencies
36
37 sets.conf is used for other types of definition, I stop older kernels
38 being depcleaned with
39
40 % cat /etc/portage/sets.conf
41 [kernels]
42 class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
43 world-candidate = False
44 files = /usr/src
45
46 then emerge -n @kernels
50 Neil Bothwick
51
52 MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash; If Not, The Operating System Hangs