From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Instrumenting the GPU
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:20:24
1 On Monday, November 13, 2017 4:12:56 PM CET Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 11/13/17 02:59, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > I'm hunting a problem with cooling in this box, and I've got as far as
6 > > suspecting my new AMD WX 5100 GPU.
7 > >
8 > > One of my BOINC projects causes the GPU temperature, as shown by gkrellm,
9 > > to shoot up to 75C or more and cause intolerable system cooling noise. If
10 > > I suspend that project but leave the other seven running, the temperature
11 > > returns to what I hope is a normal 55C. Those seven projects are supposed
12 > > to use the GPU, but I'm not sure whether they do in fact.
13
14 According to gkrellm, my GPU is at 24C. CPU is at 31C.
15 Will check it after running a few 3D heavy apps later tonight.
16
17 > > Is there any way I can monitor what is using the GPU, to find out?
18 >
19 > I don't know if there's a utility for consumer level cards that can do
20 > this. I do remember for Nvidia there's nvidia-smi but I don't think it
21 > will list processes for desktop cards.
22
23 I have a Geforce GTX 950 and it does show the processes.
24 Surprisingly, some desktop apps (not all) are also showing, must be linked to
25 some library.
26 Also shows the GPU memory usage.
29 Joost