From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Formating a USB stick
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:16:28
1 On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 19:34:39 +0900, daid kahl wrote:
2
3 > > > The stick will be used in MSWindows mainly.
4 > >
5 > > In that case, I'd play safe and format it in Windows.
6
7 > Ah booo! You're formatting it anyway, so there's no data to lose, and
8 > I can't imagine you'd break it by trying to format it.
9
10 Who mentioned data loss? Formatting in Windows reduces the risk of
11 Windows complaining about the format. It may not be standards-compliant,
12 but at least is is consistently broken.
13
14 I've had cfdisk complain about too many FAT filesystems that apparently
15 work well, so I generally format in the device that will mainly use the
16 filesystem.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
23 eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
24 and has a lower TCO, than linux.