From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b burning BD-Disk pretends to fail at 99.99%
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:30:08
1 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > rdalek1967@×××××.com wrote:
5 >> I wonder if he can unmerge growisofs? Or at least remove the file.
6 > In order to make it use cdrecord for DVD and BD ?
7 >
8 > (Cough.)
9 >
10 > growisofs is unsurpassed with DVD. I am a competitor of it
11 > (by libburn) and believe to be able to judge its doings in
12 > respect to the SCSI standards SPC-3 and MMC-5.
13 >
14 > With BD it has one bug and two design decisions which i do not
15 > agree with.
16 > The bug is the one which i strongly believe is reported here.
17 > We could know for sure if Alex would try the proposed fix.
18 >
19 > The two decisions are formatting BD-R to Pseudo Overwrite capability,
20 > and not offering writing without Defect Management to formatted BD.
21 > Defect Management reduces write speed to at most half nominal
22 > media speed. Pseudo Overwrite puts an extra layer of complexity
23 > onto BD-R burning.
24 >
25 > The bug is easily fixed, and the design decisions are features for
26 > which the author has made his point in
27 > http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/Blu-ray/
28 > I do not agree, but i cannot flatly reject his reasons, either.
31 > Have a nice day :)
32 >
33 > Thomas
39 I thought it might be worth a mention as a temporary workaround. If the
40 growisofs file is removed, k3b won't find it and can't use it. Of
41 course, it may not work at all then either. I'm not a k3b expert but do
42 use it sometimes.
43
44 Maybe one of these ideas floating around will help the OP.
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!