From: Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b burning BD-Disk pretends to fail at 99.99%
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:23:39
1 Hi,
2
3 rdalek1967@×××××.com wrote:
4 > I wonder if he can unmerge growisofs? Or at least remove the file.
5
6 In order to make it use cdrecord for DVD and BD ?
7
8 (Cough.)
9
10 growisofs is unsurpassed with DVD. I am a competitor of it
11 (by libburn) and believe to be able to judge its doings in
12 respect to the SCSI standards SPC-3 and MMC-5.
13
14 With BD it has one bug and two design decisions which i do not
15 agree with.
16 The bug is the one which i strongly believe is reported here.
17 We could know for sure if Alex would try the proposed fix.
18
19 The two decisions are formatting BD-R to Pseudo Overwrite capability,
20 and not offering writing without Defect Management to formatted BD.
21 Defect Management reduces write speed to at most half nominal
22 media speed. Pseudo Overwrite puts an extra layer of complexity
23 onto BD-R burning.
24
25 The bug is easily fixed, and the design decisions are features for
26 which the author has made his point in
27 http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/Blu-ray/
28 I do not agree, but i cannot flatly reject his reasons, either.
31 Have a nice day :)
32
33 Thomas